Depth mesh is the creation of triangle-based meshes surfaces detected by Nreal Light. The mesh is used for real-time occlusion rendering and for collision detection with digital content. Unlike Plane Detection, which only detects planar surfaces, Meshing can detect a variety of surfaces.
Depth mesh expands many AR capabilities.
- Visualization: Provide visual feedback as users scan their environment.
- Occlusion: Hide virtual objects behind real ones, especially in larger outdoor environments where Depth-based Occlusion may not be practical.
- Physics: With the help of MeshColliders, virtual objects and characters interact with the environment and real objects.
- Procedural Object Placement: Populate the AR world with more flexibility than Plane Detection.
The mesh quality depends on the image texture, related to the scene material, lighting, motion speed, etc.
- Uniform illumination
- Move smoothly and slowly
- Highly textured surfaces: carpets, wallpapers, wood floors
- The appropriate range of distances: 0.5m to 3m
- Moving objects
- Dark environments
- Transparent/Semi-transparent or reflective surfaces
- Thin objects: chair legs, fences
- Textureless surface: white walls, painted desktop
Depth Mesh has been fully tested on the following Android phones:
- OnePlus: 7T / 9
- SONY: Xperia 5iii
- OPPO: Find X2 / Find x3 Pro
- HUAWEI: P30 / Mate40Pro
- LG: VELVET / V50s / G900N / style
- SAMSUNG: Galaxy Note20Ultra / Galaxy Note20 / Galaxy S21 5G / Galaxy Z Fold3 5G / Galaxy S20 Ultra
Depth Mesh can also run on devices besides the above, the stability however is not guaranteed. For the complete compatibility list, please refer to Device Compatibility.